Beginner Fly Tying: Zebra Midge
Cheech - November, 2015
The zebra midge is probably responsible for more fish caught in my first few years of fly fishing than any other pattern. The great things about a zebra midge are that it is among the easiest flies to tie, and it can easily be modified to be tied in a wide range or colors and variations. I think black is the most common color but I fish a lot of brown, olive, and red too. Here's the video, but make sure to check out some of our alternate recipes below.
- Hook: Daiichi 1120 - Heavy Wire Scud Hook - 18
- Thread: Danville Flat Waxed Nylon Thread - 70 Denier - Black
- Bead: Plummeting Tungsten Beads - Gold - 5/64" (2.0mm)
- Wire: UTC Ultra Wire - Gold - Small
- Dubbing: Ice Dub - UV Black