Peacock & Elk Hair Caddis
Curtis - January, 2018
Our buddy Pete Steen (@fly_fishing_pete) is back at it with another stellar caddis tie.
The dyed peacock body on this one paired with some sublime golden badger hackle makes for sick color combo.
A few notes on this pattern:
Mix and match the colors. Golden badger is a great hackle color, but brown, coachman brown, pale water dun, rusty brown and a number of others will work just as well. You can also swap out the brown peacock for olive to match your local caddis colors.
Note the method to tie in the elk hair. It's important to get a clean and secure tie-in on this style of fly. If you attempt to tie in too much hair with not enough tension, your hair will roll on you. See how Pete uses a multi-tie-off method for the hair.
Not all elk or deer hair is created equally. We usually find that Nature's Spirit has the best overall quality. We've got a good selection here.
- Hook: Firehole Sticks 419 Dry Fly - 14
- Thread: UTC Ultrathread 70 Denier - Wood Duck
- Body: Nature's Spirit Bleached Dyed Peacock Sticks - Brown
- Wing: Nature's Spirit Select Cow Elk - Natural
- Tools Used: Stonfo Comb/Brush Tool, Renzetti Standard Hair Stacker, Stonfo Thread Splitter,