Size 30 Bunny Midge
Cheech - January 2019
Iwill promise you one thing with this fly... That promise is that if you tie these and put them in a box, there will be someone who says "What the #$%#$ do you catch with those?!?!" Calmly let them know that they are a great tool for catching wary rising trout in the winter and spring. This is the third iteration of the bunny midge, and it's actually really similar to the last one that we released (previous versions), but I wanted to demonstrate that it could be done with a size 30 hook. This hook has an over sized eye, it's barbless (which makes it easier to hook fish), and it comes only in size 26-30 which tells us that they designed it specifically for small midges. In my experience, it hooks up extremely well, and is just heavy enough to land decent sized trout.
Feel free to tie these in multiple colors too! I like olive and black for the body color, and any white or gray color for the wing.
- Hook: Gamakatsu C12-BM Barbless Midge Hook - 30
- Thread: 8/0 UNI-Thread Waxed Midge - Camel
- Tail: Veevus Body Quill - Golden Brown
- Wing: EP Trigger Point Int'l Fibers - Quick Silver
- Tools Used: Tiemco Dual Whip Finisher, Tiemco Razor Scissors,