Little Neon Caddis Nymph
Curtis Fry - March, 2017
Back in college, I did a fair amount of guiding on a local tailwater and fished a lot of hatch-matchy type patterns depending on the time of year. There also happened to be a lot of caddis in this river and I found one caddis larva pattern, in particular, seemed to do well all year round. This pattern was originally tied relatively small (#18's and #20's) and on a straight shank nymph hook but I've since started tying them jig style -- especially for Euro style nymphing.
Nothing fancy as far as materials go so it's an easy tie and will definitely drum up fish for you.
- Hook: Hanak H 400 BL Jig Hook - 12
- Thread: UTC Ultrathread 70 Denier - Black
- Bead: Hareline Slotted Tungsten Beads - Black - 7/64" (2.8mm)
- Weight: Lead Free Round Wire - .015
- Under-Body: Veevus Holographic Tinsel - Chartreuse - Medium
- Over-Body: Half Round D Rib - Chartreuse - Small
- Thorax: Hare'e Ice Dub - Black
- Soft Hackle: Nature's Spirit Starling Skin