Low Brow Articulated Streamer
Cheech - January 21, 2016
1. not highly intellectual or cultured.
The Low Brow kind of just happened one day at the vise while I was covered head to toe in flash and craft fur. I was in the middle of making a bunch of dubbing brushes, and I had an idea for a black, red, and blue brush a.k.a. Midnight Fire. I wanted kind of a more neutral pattern that wouldn't sink quite as quickly as the Street Sweeper, and I also had an epiphany that I needed to tie more with silicone streamer legs in my flies. Like the Street Sweeper, this pattern uses two different types of dubbing brushes, but it also adds the element of silicone legs, rabbit, and ballz-eyes at the head to make it move in the water a bit differently.
For the flash part of these brushes I'm using the metallic colors of ice dub (which are very straight fibers) and ice wing fiber cut to 2" lengths. The best way to cut up a bunch of ice wing fiber is to lay it on one of those fancy cutting boards and try to preen it all so it's all facing relatively in the same direction. Then take a circular fabric cutter (yes, the cutters that look like razor sharp pizza cutters) and cut it all to the desired length. Check out these videos to learn how to make great dubbing brushes. HERE
Anyway, this is a really fun fly to tie, and you can tie them rather quickly if you make up several brushes in advance.
- Low Brow Articulated Streamer: Fulling Mill 36040 Streamer Stripper - 1
- Wire: Senyo Intruder Trailer Hook Wire - Black - Regular
- Bead: 3D Articulation Beads - Red
- Eyes: BallZeyes - Anodized Red w/ White Eye - Large (3/16" / 5 mm)
- Thread: Danville Flat Waxed Nylon Thread - 140 Denier - Red
- Tail: Rabbit Zonker Strips - Black
- Brush: Ice Dub - Red
- Brush: Ice Dub - Blue Steelie
- Weight: Lead Wire Spool - .030
- Legs: Silicone Flutter Legs - Black
- Brush: Ice Wing Fiber - Black
- Brush: Extra Select Craft Fur - Black
- Tools Used: Dubbing Brush Table, Stonfo Comb/Brush Tool, Fly Tyer's Z-Ment, Loon Fluorescing UV Clear Fly Finish