Brandon Mena - November, 2016
So back in January of this year I was down in the Fly Tying Dungeon cranking out streamers, like usual, when old Silent Bob aka my room mate aka Josh Mena aka my little bro comes rolling in. We talked a bit about various streamer actions and this streamer was the results of that conversation. I felt it was appropriate to give Josh some credit so the pattern was named after his newly appointed nickname, given to him by Curtis. So that's the story of the name, but would it catch fish?
Fast forward a couple days and we found ourselves on some local water. After some testing, we found out this thing hunts! It's pretty obvious that wedge trimmed deer hair heads give a fly a killer action, but to me, the combination of a deer hair head and "Belly-Scratcher"weighting is really what takes the action to another level. I'm sure i'll be implementing this combo into some future patterns!
Like most patterns, this one has gone thru a few variations and started with a polar chenille gill-pack (like seen in the above trouts mouth). Since then, I have moved to using red Ice Dub and Senyo's Predator Wrap. This combo gives me the blood red flash I find successful in so many patterns and I feel it is a trigger for many fish. While this is a fairly long tie for a single hook streamer, it's a lot of fun to tie. So get yourself a Premo Deer Strip, or 14, and tie some up!
This pattern is great in other color combos aswell. Just sub out the Magnum Rabbit for another color, along with the deer hair and eyes. One of my go to color combos is: Brown Barred Ginger Magnum rabbit, Golden Brown Deer Premo Strip and Super Pearl Eyes.
- Hook: Fulling Mill 36040 Streamer Stripper - 1
- Thread: Veevus GSP - White - 150 Denier
- Wire: Senyo Intruder Trailer Hook Wire - Black - Regular
- Belly: Ice Dub - UV Pearl
- Beads: Plummeting Tungsten Beads - Gold - 3/16" (4.6mm)
- Tail: Brown Barred Magnum Rabbit Strips - Olive
- Gill Pack: Ice Dub - Red
- Gill Pack: Senyo's Barred Predator Wrap - Barred UV
- Head: Wapsi Premo Deer Hair Strips - Olive
- Eyes: Fluorescent Fly Eyes - Fl. Orange - 1/4" (6.3mm)
- Resin: Loon UV Clear Fly Finish - Flow
- Resin: Loon UV Clear Fly Finish - Thick (1/2 oz)
- Tools Used: Peak Hex Hair Stacker Magnum, Double Edge Razor Blades, Fly Tyer's Z-Ment,